• All
  • employer-hosting-family-faqs
  • nanny-caregiver-au-pair-faqs
  • fees-and-payroll-related-faq’s
Am I eligible to hire an in-home nanny or caregiver?

You are eligible if you:

  • Are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • There is a child under 18, a senior 65 years or more, or a member with special needs in your family
  • Can afford to pay for a caregiver.  
  • Are willing to share your home and provide a private bedroom (with lock) for the caregiver
  • Will provide a clean and healthy environment
  • Will comply with Canada’s employment standards on wages, working condition and occupation
  • Will be financially responsible for your caregiver’s:
      •    one-way transportation from their current location to your home
      •    temporary health insurance (until the caregiver is eligible for provincial healthcare)
      •    workplace safety insurance

In order to hire a caregiver under the In-home Caregiver Program, the employer must submit an LMIA application to Service Canada to confirm eligibility for all of the above.

As an employer, what is illegal / am I not allowed?

Canada has strict laws and regulations protecting foreign live-in caregivers. Any violations by the employer will be subject to legal audits and actions. To ensure you are in compliance, please note you are not allowed to:

    • Ask the Caregiver to work more hours than is specified in the contract without compensation
    • Force the Caregiver to perform duties which are not part of the contract
    • Keep the Caregiver on call 24 hours
    • Enter the Caregiver’s room without their permission
    • Keep the Caregiver’s work permit, passport or any other documents
    • Deport Caregiver from Canada
    • Change conditions of the contract without written agreement of the Caregiver
    • Recoup any of the costs related to the recruitment or travel from the Caregiver

Why is live-in help more affordable than other options?

There are many reasons, most common include:

    • As the in-home caregiver’s salary is determined by number of hours worked (i.e. not by number of individuals requiring care), it is cheaper than care centres where two or more children are involved
    • The market hourly rate of a live-out caregiver is higher than a live-in caregiver, ranging from $15 to $20 per hour plus transportation costs (e.g. TTC pass) compared to current minimum wage less room and board. Live-out caregiver’s availability is also restricted by accessibility and distance from home.
    •  You pay only for the hours worked by the in-home caregiver. In comparison, care centres do not refund for any time that your child is absent (e.g. sickness or other reasons), while still needing to arrange for homecare at your own cost.
    •  You may be able to arrange for additional babysitting services with your in-home caregiver.

What if there are issues with the caregiver or it isn’t working out?

Please contact us immediately as soon as mediation assistance or advice is needed. We always encourage our clients to attempt to resolve the issue directly first as it is more cost and time effective for both sides; however, if resolution cannot be found after all attempts, either side can end the employment contract with two weeks written notice per employment standards. Employers can also pay in lieu of the notice. If you were happy with your caregiver but no longer need her service, we will be glad to place them with another great family.

How do you screen?

In addition to the government program requirements, our Recruitment Consultant goes through a vigorous and extensive 360° screening process with each applicant, most of which will be conducted in-person. We screen every applicant in the same manner even if they were referred to us. Besides their essential technical skills, we also consider a multitude of factors including:

    • Work experience
    • Education level
    • Professional training (e.g. nursing, caregiving, geriatric care, childhood development, CPR, First Aid)
    • Supplementary skills (e.g. driving, cooking, swimming)
    • Language abilities and communication skills
    • Personal background
    • Criminal record
    • Health
    • Character & personality (e.g. enthusiasm, empowering style, safety consciousness, common sense, problem-solving ability)
    • Interests & hobbies
    • Personal goals, motivation and expectations
    • Commitment
    • References (that are verifiable)

Where do Au Pairs come from?

Our Au Pairs come from countries that have bilateral youth mobility agreements and arrangements with Canada. Each country has their own limits on age and length of work permits.

Countries include: Australia, Belgium, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Ukraine, United Kingdom.

Please check Experience Canada Program (IEC) for latest information.

How long does the hiring process take?

While we cannot guarantee processing times of the governments for LMIA or work permit applications and results, average processing times range between is 1 and 7 months (dependent on caregiver’s current location).

What is nanny-share?

When two (or more) families hire one nanny for childcare in the same geographical area. Each family pays for their share of childcare. The nanny usually earns a higher salary in this arrangement. Note: Nannies or Caregivers under In-Home Caregiver program are not eligible for nanny-share as they can only legally work for the employer specified on the initial work permit in Canada. Once eligible for open permit application, they can work on any jobs for any employers.

Why are there so many questions on the application?

Your responses will enable us to make the best match between your preferences and employment. The application information does not represent your job description.

Can I revise a submitted application?

The application cannot be revised once submitted. Please contact us if there is a need to update your application.

Once I submit my application online, how will I be contacted?

Upon receipt of your online application, your qualifications will be reviewed carefully. If your qualifications meet the eligibility requirements, the Recruitment Consultant closest to your location will contact you on next steps as per your preferred communication method.

Au Pairs or Live-in Caregivers?

Unlike other agencies, we offer both programs as we believe in catering to each family’s specific needs. Each program has its own unique advantages to meet specific needs.
Care comparison:


Live-in Caregivers

Au Pairs


Minimum of 21 years old

Between 18-30 years old
(depending on country of origin)

Work Experience

Minimum 3 years caregiver work experience (includes 6 months with same employer) or 6 months formal training

Must have childcare experience (e.g. babysitting, tutoring, childcare internships)


High school or Post-secondary (minimum 72 credits) in geriatric care, childhood education, pediatric nursing or caregiving or first aid

High school or Post-secondary

First Aid / CPR Training



Criminal Record

No criminal Record

No criminal Record


Completed Medical exam

Completed Medical exam


Fluent in English and other language(s)

Fluent in English and other language(s)
(Working holiday to improve English)


As an employee of the Employer Family

As a member of Hosting Family


Rarely has driving experience or license

Usually have experience to apply for international driver’s license

Main Responsibility

Childcare (under 18 year old)
Senior-care (over 65 years old)
Care for special needs
Light household duties (cooking, cleaning housekeeping) related to person receiving care

Childcare only
Light household duties (cooking, cleaning housekeeping) related to person receiving care

Initial Contract Term

2-3 years
(subject to renewal on open work permit)

6 months to 1 year
(possible extension, subject to originating country)

Hours of work
*Overtime applies beyond 44 hours/ week)

30 to 48 hours per week
Must be full-time

20 to 48 hours per week
Maybe Part-time


Usually prevailing wage for the occupation.

Usually prevailing wage for the occupation.


2 weeks for every 12 months of consecutive work

2 weeks for every 12 months of consecutive work


Private Bedroom

Private Bedroom

Processing time


4 to 7 months
(sometimes in <3 weeks if caregiver is already in Canada and needs a new employer)

3 weeks to 3 months

Government Assessment

Labour Market Opinion required by Service Canada to proof family’s needs, income and, local labour availability.

Au Pairs enter Canada under a Working Holiday Visa.

Permanent Residency


Not Eligible